After having a cold all week I found this recipe by Donna Hay and thought it was very appropriate after living off lemon and honey all week! I always choose super easy cakes to make and this is no different! It has no refined sugar, no gluten, is dairy free and tastes delicious! If you haven’t much time and want to whip up something for tea then you should give it a go!
4 large eggs
60ml light, flavoured extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon thyme leaves
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
60ml lemon juice
360g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
Extra honey for drizzling
Extra lemon thyme sprigs, to serve
Plain Greek style yogurt, to serve (optional)
* Preheat oven to 160 fan, mark 4.
* Line a 22cm round springform tin with non stick baking paper.
* Place the honey and eggs in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the oil, lemon thyme, lemon rind and juice and whisk to combine.
* Add the ground almonds and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
* Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
* Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
* Remove the cake from the tin and place on a cake stand or plate. Drizzle with extra honey and scatter with extra thyme sprigs.
* Cut into wedges and serve with yogurt.
Will store in an airtight container for up to 10 days!