One thing I am missing about lockdown is not having the time to bake!
After a few very busy weeks at work I finally made the time to make this lovely cake but only after most of the ingredients sat on the kitchen top for a while! Ask my husband it drove him mad!
Give it a go. It’s super easy and delicious. Everyone enjoyed it here!
For the cake
250g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
125g pistachio kernals
250g caster sugar
4 medium eggs, at room temperature
100g ground almonds
100g quick cook/instant polenta
1/2tsp each vanilla and almond extract
Finely grated zest 1 orange
2tsp baking powder
25g pistachio kernals, roughly chopped
* Preheat oven to 180c (160c fan) mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm round springform cake tin with baking parchment.
* For the cake – whizz the pistachios in a food processor until finely ground (or bash in a food bag with a rolling pin). In a large bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 5min. Crack in the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. With motor on slow speed, mix in the ground pistachios and almonds, polenta, vanilla and almond extracts, orange zest, baking powder and a pinch of fine salt, until combined. Fold in 1/2 the raspberries.
* Scatter remaining raspberries into the base of the prepared tin, then spoon over cake mixture and level. Bake for about 50-55 min, or until risen and golden. (cover with foil for the final 15 min if getting too dark)
* Cool in tin for 15 min, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
* To serve, invert on to a serving plate or board and peel off baking parchment. Scatter over chopped pistachios and raspberries and serve with creme fraiche.