Christmas Gingerbread Bundt Cake
With Christmas only weeks away I wanted to feature something festive on our foodie blog post. I found this very simple gingerbread bundt cake recipe on line so gave it go. It’s very uncomplicated and fills the kitchen with Christmasy spice smells when you’re mixing up the mixture and baking it in the oven which was lovely! If you give it a go then enjoy!
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour (I used gluten free plain flour and it worked fine)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of fine salt
- 2 heaped teaspoons gingerbread spice mix. If you don’t have this see below for a homemade version.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60ml milk
- Icing sugar for dusting
If you don’t have or can’t find gingerbread spice mix. You could make the following:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Generously grease a 2 litre capacity bundt cake tin with vegetable oil. I always use coconut oil which works well.
- Lightly flour the bundt cake pan and shake out the excess flour over the kitchen sink.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy with electric beaters or wooden spoon.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and gingerbread spices into a bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mix, followed by a tablespoon of the flour mixture to prevent the batter curdling.
- Once all the eggs have been incorporated into the batter, lightly mix through the remaining flour mixture, together with the vanilla extract and milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake tin, and give it a few taps on the kitchen counter to make sure the batter has settled into all the grooves of the tin.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the thick part of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before carefully inverting the cake onto another wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.